The SEAOC Convention has lots of activities for younger members. Check below for all that is planned.
Please join us on the first evening of the Convention for a social hour just for SEAOC Younger Members! This year’s YMF reception is extra-special, as we have the Grotto Bar all to ourselves. Relax by the waterfall, catch up with friends, and make new connections at an ideal spot just next to the main pool. We’ll be serving some amazing food and drinks, and there will also be music, with both pool and land games for entertainment. Remember to bring the drink tickets provided in your registration packet (and a swimsuit!).
Time: Wednesday, October 12, 7:00 pm to 9:30 pm
Location: Grotto Bar (under the waterfalls, next to the amazing waterslide).
Please join us on Friday, for a special track just for younger members! Our best and brightest industry leaders will be spending some time with the younger members in a roundtable session to share their experiences and successes. We’ll be joined by the infamous Ashraf Habibullah for special discussion of his new ‘I Have a Dream’ initiative, which is inspirational and not to be missed. Bring your questions and thoughts. This event was a huge success at last year’s convention, and we’re very excited for this year’s event!
Time: Friday, October 14, time: 9:37-10:52AM (last track of first session, break, and first track thereafter).
Location: Lahaina 4
We want every young member who wants to come to Maui this year to join us for what is sure to be an awesome convention. Here are a list of ways you can get yourself to the convention with some assistance from state and member organizations to make this trip a reality!
- Nabih Youssef Poster Grant – Five $1000.00 grants awarded covering YMF registration to the convention and for travel and airfare. See below for more information. Applications will be accepted through July 21th, 2016..
- Statewide SEAOC Scholarship – Four $750.00 scholarships are given, one per region to deserving YMF members such as yourself! Applications will be accepted through June 17th, 2016. The award recipients will be notified by July 1st, 2016. To learn more, read the cover letter here, and submit the application found here to email@example.com.
- CVSIC/SEAOC Scholarship – Ten $1500.00 scholarships are given, to deserving YMF members such as yourself! These awards are generously funded by CVSIC to provide opportunity for younger members to attend the 2016 SEAOC Convention, who might otherwise be unable to attend. The 2016 SEAOC Convention will have numerous steel sessions which further the objective of CVSIC: to educate structural engineers in the economical design, fabrication, and erection of structural steel. Applications will be accepted through June 17th, 2016. The award recipients will be notified by July 1st, 2016. To learn more, read the cover letter here, and submit the application found here to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Giles Memorial Scholarship – One scholarship is given each year (sometimes two!). This scholarship in honor of Bill Giles, SEAONC Executive Secretary from 1966-1992. During his time, Giles actively encouraged the young members of SEAONC to participate in the association and make their mark. Following his passing, SEAONC established a scholarship in his name to continue recognition of active young members. Prospective awardees are nominated by someone, typically a supervisor or colleague. Please send nomination statement(s) of no more than 250 words by June 17, 2016, to Ken Miles (email@example.com), and the Board will review the submittal. Giles Scholarships are to publicly acknowledge the efforts of young (awardees shall be 33 years of age or younger on July 1st) members of SEAONC and to encourage their attendance and participation at the convention. The scholarship will reimburse expenses to attend the convention. Award amounts vary based on funding. Note also that a young SEAONC member may be awarded a Giles scholarship only once, so previous winners are not eligible.
- Outgoing Chair Grants – Member organizations often provide grants to recognize the hard work of their committee chairs. Get in contact with your member organizations to find out what is happening this year. The chair of an active committee who is seeking the grant should email a request to the SEAONC office (firstname.lastname@example.org) summarizing the committee’s activities over the past year and why they would like to attend the convention by June 17, 2016.
- SEAOSC Sponsorship – The SEAOSC Board of Directors will be awarding (2) stipends in the amount of $1200 for the 2016 SEAOC Convention. The on-line application will be made available through June 19th, 2016. The stipend recipients will be notified by June 30, 2016. To learn more and apply click here.
- SEAOSD Sponsorship – Two $1000.00 awards will be given by the San Diego chapter for the 2016 Convention. Applications weill be accepted through June 17th, 2016. The stipend recipients will be notified by July 1, 2016. To learn more and apply click here.
- Company Sponsorship – Many companies sponsor employees in recognition of the importance of professional development, especially for younger members! Discuss the convention with your company leaders, and stress what an opportunity the SEAOC convention is for you career and professional development.
SEAOC is pleased to announce this year’s Nabih Youssef Younger Member Poster Session Grant. The grant is funded by a generous donation from Mr. Nabih Youssef. The objective of the grant is to encourage our younger members to participate in the annual convention and SEAOC activities in general.
See link here for the Nabih Youssef Younger Member Poster Session Grant PDF flier.
Five grants will be awarded from entries submitted for a poster board design competition. We encourage younger members to participate in our call for poster boards. In addition to receiving a grant, winners will have their poster boards displayed at this year’s convention. Details of the poster board competition are as follows.
Topic: Any interesting or informative structural engineering project whether under design, in construction, or already built.
Eligibility: All current members of SEAOC, age thirty-five (35) years and younger.
Awardees: One (1) representative each from SEAONC, SEAOSC, SEAOCC, and SEAOSD, and one (1) at large representative, five (5) total.
Grant: Winners will be awarded a $1000.00 stipend towards registration, accommodations and travel to and from the convention.
Interested younger members should submit a brief abstract (300 words or less) describing the project and either a 8½”x11″ or 11”x17” sketch of their poster board layout via e-mail on or before July 21th to email@example.com Abstract and sketch should be submitted in portable document format (PDF). The convention Technical and Younger Members Committees will review the abstracts and sketches. Grant recipients will be notified by July 27th by e-mail.
The following guidelines have been prepared to assist you in the preparation of your Poster Board. Examples of last year’s YM Poster Board Session Grant winners can be found at www.seaoc.org/past-award-recipients.
POSTER BOARD GUIDELINES
|Construct board from ¼” foam-core (or similar) of dimensions 24″ x 36″. Organize the board so the information reads horizontally, landscape style 24″ tall x 36″ wide.||The grant recipient is responsible for getting the poster board to the convention, displaying it at the poster session(s), and removing it from view after the convention is over.|
|At a minimum, include all of the following information on the front of the display board:
a. Name of project
b. Include the names of the Structural Engineer, Architect, and Owner/Client. Include additional credits as appropriate.
c. Wording along the bottom of the board: “SEAOC 2016 Nabih Youssef Younger Member Poster Session”.
|When checking in at the SEAOC convention registration table let the staff know you have a poster board to display, so they can assist you.
Poster Board Display Easels will be provided by SEAOC at the hotel.
|The design of the board is up to you, but the preference is for relatively conservative lettering type. The quality of the presentation should be of the highest standards.
Color is optional. The board layout must be two-dimensional, with no pop-outs, three-dimensional elements, or electronic construction. Use only one side and do not extend any portion of the design or display beyond the 24″ x 36″ board.
|After the convention, submit all receipts with cover letter, via email, for award reimbursement to: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Please do not frame or set in glass or plastic.||The grant recipients will be announced at the business lunch Thursday afternoon, October 13th, at the convention.|